Unbelievable what we accomplished on the last Saturday in September! We started at 9:00AM and ended work at 4:00PM with clean-up to follow.
- Lolly prepared the painting under the kitchen sink, later that day to be completed by Rutgers student Ming,
- Gary and Lauren rented an electric snake to unclog one of the downspouts of the gutter system. Ty led the team in working the snake. Three young men from Young Life, Amir, Francisco and Dwayne, had tried to dig up the clogged pipe earlier – when this failed, they helped prune bushes in front of the church.
- Rutgers students Danielle and Tomas finished the pruning in front of the church.
- Rutgers students Monica, Kerri and Jenna primed the Sexton’s House, after Devon Whyte had finished his work with the heat gun there.
- Our Financial Secretary Andy spent much of the morning in the office over bills and other financial matters; Susan occupied the office in the afternoon and lead students in washing doors and walls in the Randolph Room.
- Ty and a friend bricked up an old window at the Sexton’s House.
- Gary and Lauren cleaned debris from the basement. It had collected there after recent repairs to the ceiling of the boiler room.
- Josh’s dog Sunshine was a great companion to all of us. She may have been a bit intimidated by all the commotion around her.
- U.S. Postal Carrier Mike joined other pedestrians in encouraging us and expressed his amazement about the speed of the work on the Sexton’s House.
As many of these days before, this one turned out to be a true community event. We can only be grateful that there are so many volunteers in our neighborhood, who really care about this old church.