2,782 Unique Visitors from 41 Countries So Far This Year!
Did you realize that, last month alone, our church website (http://blog.firstreformedchurch.net/) was read in six other countries besides the United States? We are beginning to have quite some readership. This month’s foreign countries were the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Netherlands, Germany, Turkey, and Canada. We live our lives in an increasingly connected world, and it is clear that our â€œcommunityâ€ now reaches much further than the local area in which we live, work and attend church on Sundays.
If youâ€™re not familiar with our website, here is a primer. (Please visit the site often, as content is often updated throughout the month.) You may find useful and current information that may not yet have been published in the newsletter. If youâ€™ve not been able to attend church, you can even keep current with the pastorsâ€™ sermons!
Our website is written in a â€œblogâ€ format. â€œBlogâ€ is an abbreviated version of â€œweblog,â€ which is a term used to describe web sites that maintain an ongoing chronicle of information. A blog is a frequently updated website featuring diary-type commentary and links to articles on other websites. Our website consists of the following features:
- A main content area with articles listed chronologically, newest on top. The articles are organized into categories.
- An archive of older articles.
- A way for people to leave comments about the articles.
- Links to other related sites.
- One or more â€œfeedsâ€ like RSS, Atom or RDF files.
- Link to â€œeventâ€ calendar in Google format.
One of the most exciting features of blogging tools are the comments. This highly interactive feature allows users to comment upon article posts, link to posts and comment on and recommend them, helping to keep in touch with the audience and fostering an online community. We have various user levels â€“ Editor, Author, Contributor, and Subscriber. Our community of subscribers can register, maintain profiles and leave comments.
How to comment on a story
- Visit our site and click on the title of a story to read it.
- Once there, scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the â€œLeave a Replyâ€ section.
- You are already logged in if you see the comments box. Go ahead and enter your message in the comments box and submit it. Your comment will appear on the web site shortly thereafter.
- If you do not see a comments box, click on the â€œlog inâ€ link and enter your username and password (Not registered yet? See the next section for details about creating an account).Upon successful login, you will be taken back to the story and the comments box will be there. Enter your message in the comments box and submit it. Your comment will appear on the web site shortly thereafter.
How to create an account
Every user that wishes to comment or contribute stories must create a user account. Here is how to do it:
- From any page on the site (except the events calendar page), click on â€œCREATE AN ACCOUNTâ€ under the â€œLinksâ€ section on the right hand side of the page.
- First enter the username you wish to use. An ideal format is to use your first initial and your complete last name, for example, â€œjsmithâ€ for John Smith.
- Then enter a valid e-mail address, verify your email address is correct, and click the â€œRegisterâ€ button.
- Within a few minutes, an email containing your password will be sent to the email address you provided. Make a note of your temporary password and click on the link provided in the email.
- Enter your newly created username (also in the email) and the temporary password in the appropriate boxes. Click to â€œLogin.â€
If you forget your password, the web site can automatically provide you with a new password. Simply visit the login screen (see instructions in How to comment on a story above) and click on the â€œLost your password?â€ link there. Enter your username and email address and the system will send you an email with a new password. Follow steps 4 and 5 in the section named How to create an account above.
Have questions about the web site? Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be answered promptly.