Collegiate Summer Service

Coming together in the outdoors at least once per year is important for the Reformed area churches of Dutch descent. Even if for much over 100 years now we do not consider ourselves primarily Dutch, we still appreciate our common roots and the bonds of friendship that have developed over the years.

And so we met again this past July at the old VanWickle House, built by the Delaware-Raritan Canal. Did you know that the house predates the Canal by more than 100 years? It was built in 1722; the Canal followed in 1830.

Today, the house is maintained by the Meadow’s Foundation. That group has turned it into a beautiful home for memorabilia of Dutch origin. The house also serves as the meeting point for a variety of events, most notably the Sinterklaas celebration in early December when the Dutch counterpart to the American Santa Clause arrives there. Frequently, our Dutch Dancing Group has graced his arrival with a performance.

The collegiate summer service was followed by a picnic prepared by three Reformed churches: The Reformed Church of Highland Park, and First and Second Reformed Church of New Brunswick. One of the nicest things that day was the fact that so many of our new and younger members were in attendance. It was a great way of passing on the tradition.



About Rev. Dr. Hartmut Kramer-Mills

Hartmut Kramer-Mills, a native of Jena, Germany, began his theological education at Heidelberg University. After the Middle Exam in 1986 he received a scholarship from the World Alliance of Reformed Churches for McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago. He graduated from McCormick with a Master of Divinity in 1988. He graduated from Marburg University in Germany with the Ecclesiastical Exam in 1990, and received a Dr. theol. from Greifswald University, Germany, in 1997. From 1990 to 1991 he was vicar at St. Wenzel in Naumburg, Germany. He was ordained minister of word and sacrament in 1993 through the Protestant Church of the Church Province of Saxony. From 1993 to 1998 he served as assistant pastor in Stoessen, Goerschen, and Rathewitz, Germany. At the same time he was lecturer for Church History at Erfurt College in Germany. From 1999 to 2000 he served the Spotswood Reformed Church in New Jersey as interim pastor. Since 2000 he and his wife serve the First Reformed Church in New Brunswick, New Jersey, as co-pastors.
This entry was posted in Events, General, Items of Interest, Worship and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.