The Congregational meeting on May 2nd was well attended, with some folks having to leave before the advisory vote was taken. The following was agreed upon (with 30-yes and 3-no votes) as the next steps in going forward with looking into the sanctuary re-visioning project:
- Form a 501(c)3.
- Meet with HMFA (Housing Mortgage Financing Agency) to determine viability of project from their end, including funding.
- Meet with Monarch Housing Associates, Inc. to see what support of this project they may provide.
- Meet with possible Program Partners to determine a “homeless population”.
- Continue to meet with Coming Home of Middlesex County, Developers from the Highland Park Affordable Housing Corp to plan funding and the next steps.
- Meet with the New Brunswick City official, for instance: Glenn Patterson, Director of Planning, Community & Economic Development.
- Eventually come up with further plans for the design of the housing (size of rooms), as well as the Sanctuary, including the location of the Library and the design of the worship space: chancel area and pews.
- Continue to inform consistory and the congregation through newsletter articles.
- Plan for another congregational event, providing further design plans.
We thank all of you who participated in the discussion. It was very lively and provided the group with some guidance for our future visits with the various organizations, which are mentioned above.
The Building Vision Group has since met with: HMFA; John Clark – Exececutive Director Of New Brunswick Housing & Redevelopment Authority; and architects from Kitchen and Associates – a firm experienced in providing plans for such projects. All of these meetings have provided us with suggestions and good ideas about how this building project may unfold.
Regarding our application for a 501(c)3, we hope to have it sent off by the end of the month.